A Provocation 2 Thought

Don’t believe everything you read, hear or see (even on this site). Most of the “news” in print, on the radio, and on television is commentary. Not NEWS. Even the “facts” in a story are usually presented in such a way as to leave you thinking as the writer. Sometimes the “facts” are made up, or so distorted they no longer resemble the truth. My goal is to provoke you 2 thought. Read between the lines. Glean truth from many sources. Then… Think for yourself. Make up your own mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

In Whom Do You Have Blind Faith?

If you have read much that I have written you probably know that I do not agree with ANYONE all of the time. I have people with whom I agree more often than others, but I do not blindly agree with ANY man or woman or group of men and or women. My wife and I were once discussing the fact that I do not always agree with the pastor of our church, and she asked if I wanted to change churches to one where I could always agree with the leadership. I told her that I agree with most of what he says but that the day I agree with everything from any human’s mouth is the day I stop thinking for myself. I believe this whole-heartedly. If you tell me that you believe all of what ANYONE says (even me, persuasive though I may be), I know that either you are lying to me, or you don’t think things out for yourself.

In a political debate with others, I frequently offer examples of my disagreements with the candidate of my choice while asking for examples of their disagreements with the candidate of their choice. Their ability, or lack thereof, to disagree with their candidate shows their intellectual honesty, and lets me know if I am wasting my breath talking to them.

Why did I go through all of this?

Within a day or two of the release of the 9-11 commission, Senator Kerry stated that, as president, he would implement ALL of the recommendations of the commission immediately. The report being hundreds of pages long means that this was before he was even able to read them. What if they suggested that we institute martial law and suspend the rights protected by the constitution? Most would agree that this would probably reduce the terrorism threat in our country, but most would also agree that we do not want to go there. One could argue that Senator Kerry knows the commissioners and knows that they would not recommend anything so ridiculous. As I stated earlier, I could not have that much blind faith in any man or woman, let alone ten. And I have little trust in the decision-making abilities of anyone who would implement a recommendation before knowing what it is. It is frightening to think that anyone wanting to be president could blindly follow a group of ten people without wanting to at least review the results BEFORE declaring that they should ALL be implemented.
Kerry says we are at war and the president should be “ahead of the curve”, not behind it. Yet he criticizes the president for taking care of Saddam BEFORE he was able to harm the U.S. directly, EXACTLY the kind of thing that John Kerry is talking about. If we had arrested the 19 hijackers on September 10th, 2001 we would never have known the devastation they would have caused, and John Kerry today would probably be speaking on the evil republicans arresting these poor foreigners and keeping them in prison without due process. By the way, if you could go back in time and arrest those 19 on the 10th, and send them to Guantanamo, how long do you think they should have to stay there? Keeping in mind they did not kill thousands of people, they only planned to do so.

Just as I mentioned that I do not agree with anyone all of the time, I rarely disagree with anyone all of the time either. As for Kerry, I probably agree with about half of what he said in his acceptance speech the other day. His speech indicated that he would deal with terrorism in virtually the same way that Presidents Bush has, and will. However, it was easy to see that he was quite uncomfortable making these statements, which are mostly in direct contradiction to his actions. Example, Senator Kerry voted to delay the start of the Homeland Security Department, since September 11th, about a half dozen times. Yet he says that he would implement all of the 9-11 commission recommendations, immediately, before he even read them, trying to make it look as though the president is moving too slow on the 9-11 report, when Senator Kerry personally slowed the Homeland Security Department, which goes hand in hand with the 9-11 commission’s report which a President Kerry would supposedly implement immediately.

So, it would seem that a President Kerry would have waited for the 9-11 report, then IMMEDIATELY create something like the Homeland Security Department. But he would not have created it before the report as President Bush did. What was that Senator Kerry was saying earlier about someone being ahead of the curve, and someone being behind the curve on terror? Does Senator Kerry believe what he says? He has to act fast. Or does he believe what he does? He drags his feet. I can agree with what he says on this issue. I cannot agree with what he has done on this issue.

Read more about it, then…

Think for yourself!

Make up your own mind!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home