A Provocation 2 Thought

Don’t believe everything you read, hear or see (even on this site). Most of the “news” in print, on the radio, and on television is commentary. Not NEWS. Even the “facts” in a story are usually presented in such a way as to leave you thinking as the writer. Sometimes the “facts” are made up, or so distorted they no longer resemble the truth. My goal is to provoke you 2 thought. Read between the lines. Glean truth from many sources. Then… Think for yourself. Make up your own mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Wish me a happy Hanukkah! Though I am not Jewish, I will NOT be offended.

Wish me a happy Ramadan! Though I am not Muslim, I will NOT be offended.

Wish me a happy Kwanzaa! Though I do not celebrate it, and have never known anyone who told me they did, I will NOT be offended.

When someone wishes me a happy (insert any holiday which I do not celebrate), my first thought is that this person wishes me well. And regardless of the holiday, I would appreciate the fact that this person wishes me to be happy.

The vast majority of the time it is intended to bring joy, not to cause offense. When someone says anything with the purpose of offending, that is a problem. However, when someone wishes good will to you, how can you be offended?

And even if I were offended, I have never read any right to not be offended in the Constitution. The last thought in my mind would be to go to court over some person or government entity wishing me happiness. I am most concerned when a government entity wishes me ill.

In the immortal words of the great philosopher, Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?" I have been offended hundreds even thousands of times in my life. I have NEVER sued over it.

Please, to the ACLU and those duped into allowing the ACLU to file suit on their behalf because of a sign on city hall, a carol sung in school, a sentiment expressed in a card, or even the reading of our own Declaration of Independence, can we not agree that I will not intentionally offend you, you will not intentionally offend me, and when we each are offended by others (and we ALL will be) can we show a little tolerance and not take everyone to court? Or would that require too much maturity?

Merry Christmas!


Think for yourself!

Make up your own mind!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home